Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Wikipedia Wednesday: Bloop

About a week ago, my mom lamented/suggested that somebody in the blogosphere should write about interesting stuff they find on Wikipedia. Clearly, this comes from her knowledge of my fondness for Wikipedia and my propensity for wasting hours of my time article-hopping. To this end I am instituting Wikipedia Wednesdays here at Gratis & Libre. I'm not sure if I'll be able to keep it up every week, but we'll see how it goes.

To kick off this new feature, I've chosen one of my old favorites: Bloop.

"Bloop" is, perhaps, a cryptid, that is a mysterious, possibly mythical, animal like Bigfoot or the Loch Ness Monster. In reality, all we know is that it is an "ultra-low frequency underwater sound" detected by NOAA in the southern Pacific Ocean during the summer of 1997. It lasted about a minute and was loud enough to be detected over 5,000 km (3,100 miles) away. The few people who have studied the phenomenon have said that it most likely originated from something organic (i.e. not a submarine), but that an animal that could produce such a loud and low sound would have to be many times larger than a blue whale.

The Wikipedia article has a link at the bottom which leads you to the NOAA "Bloop" website which used to have the original recording, which turns out to be rather eerie at its normal speed. Unfortunately, they just have just have the version that's been sped up 16 times, but it's still better than the one second clip in the article. The only problem being that the sped up version isn't nearly as low...it sounds like a "bloop".

Share & Enjoy!

No comments: