Thursday, February 12, 2009

Autobiography -- Part 2

We've got a lot to gloss over, so let's get right into it...

Chapter 3 -- High School: In a Word, Huh?

What can I say about my high school experience that hasn't already been said about cheap beer? Fun, intoxicating, a danger to brain cells, makes you feel like you're being smooth with the ladies when you're really just being creepy. You know the deal. Truth be told, I had a lot of fun in high school, especially near the end. High school was probably the pinnacle for my abilities to impress high school girls' mothers. During this time I...

...witnessed the election of George W. Bush and just barely cared.
...did poorly in classes until the last few weeks when I would pull out a B.
...represented my school three times on NBC's It's Academic.
...was really creeped out by Mac McGarry (a man who both interviewed me and covered Truman's inauguration).
...spent the better part of three weeks getting sick from the wrong kind of medication.
...which resulted in me spending five days in the hospital due to my ulcerative colitis.
...looked like a skeleton much of the time (or the 'wrath of God' as my grandmother would have had it).

High school was good times. I had a reputation as seeming a lot older (think 30 years or so) than I actually was (the term "crotchety" comes to mind). Through the filter of self-delusion, I like to see it as praise for being so mature. In retrospect, of course, I was extremely immature; a fact that presents absolutely no contradictions with the previous point.


Chapter 4 -- Frostburg, Catonsville, and Beyond

The last five years seem like a blur. They had a lot of ups and downs and I spent a lot of that time deeply mired in the present, but the reason, I think, it seems like a blur is because of the amazing amount of growth that's taken place in that time. Periods of idleness fueled subsequent periods of drastic change and the taking on (on-taking?) of ridiculous amounts of responsibility. Clearly, I'm still trying to find balance. Analysis will have to wait for another post, because there's far too much to cover here, but I'm sure another list will help. During this time I...

...traveled to more states and provinces than I care to mention.
...did the whole long-distance relationship thing (totally worth it; I would never do it again).
...lived on campus (in Frostburg).
...got my first straight A report card since, at least, middle school.
...lived off campus (in Catonsville).
...lived with my gracious parents.
...began training capoeira.
...lived on campus with strangers.
...joined the UMBC Ultimate team.
...live on campus with three Ultimate players.
...started this blog.
...made this list.

The End -- Only Not

Alright, folks. I'm bored with this idea, so I imagine you've been bored with it since Chapter 1, since no one is a bigger me-dork than I am. Next week, I'll start posting some (hopefully) more interesting stuff and start unveiling (that's right) some recurring theme's for this blog.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Totally riveting, hilarious, and touching. "More blog posts!" she clamors. I want more autobiography and the gender studies stuff!
-demanding portland reader

Lucy said...

I'm sure my mother is still thoroughly impressed with you.