Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Fair Warning

Real content has been rather lacking here on Gratis and Libre in the past few weeks. This is due to several factors including (but not limited to) going to Georgia for Spring Break, being really busy with schoolwork, playing a ridiculous(ly fun) amount of Ultimate frisbee, and just being plain lazy. Hopefully, I will be making up for this lack of content by bringing you:

A Series of Blog Posts Documenting My Travels to the PCA/ACA National Conference in New Orleans!

Today, at 6:30, I'll be taking a train down to New Orleans to attend the PCA (Popular Culture Association) / ACA (American Culture Association) National Conference with my mom who, as well as being a professor of American Studies herself, is largely responsible for me becoming interested in this kind of stuff and thus becoming an American Studies major.

Due to one thing and another, I may or may not be presenting a paper on the politics of self-representation on Facebook and other Social Network Sites. However, I will be attending and writing about many variously themed presentations over the course of the week and generally schmoozing (read: shamelessly promoting myself) with people from all over the country who are even bigger nerds about this kind of stuff than I am.

This will also be the first time that I've been to New Orleans since I was 17. Now, if you've ever been there, you know New Orleans is a really fun and interesting place, but that most of the fun isn't accessible to people who are under 18. I'm not sure how much free time I'll have yet, but if I can get out and goof around in the city, you can expected a post or two about that.

Something for everyone!*

*As long as you are interested in popular culture, New Orleans, or the ramblings of a student/dork of American Studies who may or may not be trying to hastily fire off a blog post so he can get back to the hot tub. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Ricki said...

Hi, Danny.
When will you be arriving in New Orleans? I'll be going there on Saturday for a week with a group of UU's. Carol Conger and Gerry Pizzi are in the same group!
Rickey