Monday, March 9, 2009

Whatta (Wo)Man

In a frantic dash to get something published here before the next Wikipedia Wednesday, I'm posting this in the midst of, possibly, one of the busiest weeks of the semester. Which isn't to say that this post is rushed. In fact, I've been thinking about this topic for some time.

The topic is music and, more specifically, song lyrics and their gender-ambiguity or lack thereof. Just so you know how I came across this notion, let me first say that I sing along to almost every song I own. Mostly, in the car, but I'm not shy about doing it in public. In fact, I have trouble not singing along because I have an amazing/annoying memory for song lyrics. I, however, rarely encounter the feeling of misappropriation that comes with singing a love song which is in the context of a man singing about a woman.

To put it simply, I've noticed that most songs use pronouns and language that identify the singer as male or they avoid these words altogether. I noticed this while listening to the Save Ferris album It Means Everything. This band has a female lead singer, but not once in the entire album do they use language which identifies her as such. Many earlier examples exist as well, including Aretha Franklin. 'Chain of Fools', 'Respect', and 'Since You've Been Gone' are all ambiguous. Even 'I Never Loved a Man' is somewhat ambiguous except for the title which is also the chorus. Then it gets even more complicated when you start talking about the intended recipient of these lyrics which, for those singing along, would apply to people who were attracted to men, no matter what their gender.

There isn't really a thesis to all of this. I think that we just relate to these gendered songs in different ways, though maybe we don't know it. I guess I'm interested, if my small group of female readers would care to comment, what women do when they sing along to the multitude of popular songs which identify the singer as male. There are so many, and some of them get stuck in your head so easily.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hmmm. I think there's a gendered answer here. But I would like to point out that hearing "Hound Dog" by Elvis and Big Momma Thornton are two very different listening experiences. I guess that means that it can be sung be either a man or a woman. I guess that also means that it is not heteronormative.

Liz said...

It's all about the song. One of my very faves to sing along: Damn, I Wish I Was Your Lover presumes a lesbian relationship, and I wail right along, though that's not my context. The song compels me, period.